- Relief of mild to moderate postoperative pain and inflammation following surgical procedures, eg orthopedic surgery and soft tissue surgery.
- Relief of pain and inflammation in chronic musculoskeletal disorders.
- For the control of pain and inflammation after soft tissue surgery such as castration in males.
- Do not use in pregnant or lactating animals.
- Not for use in cats suffering from gastrointestinal disorders such as irritation and bleeding, impaired liver, heart or kidney function and clotting disorders.
- Do not use in case of hypersensitivity to the active substance or to any of the excipients.
- Do not use in cats under 6 weeks of age.
- Do not use in guinea pigs under 4 weeks of age.
Melosus 0.5 mg/ml is an oral suspension and should be mixed with food or administered directly into the mouth.
- Post-operative pain and inflammation after surgery: After initial treatment with meloxicam solution for injection for cats, treatment is continued 24 hours later with Melosus 0.5 mg/ml oral suspension for cats at a dose of 0.05 mg meloxicam /kg body weight. The oral follow-up dose may be administered once daily for four days (24 hours apart).
- Chronic musculoskeletal disorders: The initial treatment is a single oral dose of 0.1 mg meloxicam per kg body weight on the first day. Daily treatment should be continued at an interval of 24 hours with a maintenance oral dose of 0.05 mg meloxicam per kg body weight, once daily. A clinical effect is usually observed within 7 days. Treatment should be discontinued if there is no clinical improvement after 14 days at the latest.
- Post-operative pain associated with soft tissue surgery: The initial treatment is a single oral dose of 0.2 mg meloxicam per kg body weight on the first day (pre-operatively). Treatment should be continued once daily at an oral dose of 0.1 mg meloxicam/kg body weight (1 x per 24 hours) on days 2 and 3 (post-operatively). The dose may be increased stepwise up to 0.5 mg/kg in individual cases. However, the safety of doses above 0.6 mg/kg has not been evaluated in guinea pigs.
Active ingredient: Meloxicam 0.5 mg/ml
Excipient: Sodium benzoate 1.75 mg/ml
Melosus 0.5 mg/ml is available in 5 ml, 10 ml and 25 ml bottles.
In cats, typical side effects of NSAIDs such as loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhoea, faecal occult blood, apathy and renal failure have been reported occasionally. Elevated liver enzymes have been reported in very rare cases. These side effects are in most cases transient and disappear after discontinuation of treatment, but in very rare cases can be serious or fatal. If side effects occur, treatment should be discontinued.
The frequency of side effects is defined as follows:
- Very common (more than 1 in 10 animals treated show side effect(s))
- Common (more than 1 but less than 10 animals in 100 animals treated)
- Uncommon (more than 1 but less than 10 animals in 1,000 animals treated)
- Rare (more than 1 but less than 10 animals in 10,000 animals treated)
- Very rare (less than 1 in 10,000 animals treated, including isolated reports)